Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rest in Peace, Tim

I'm an NBC guy.

Always have been.

I grew up that way. We weren't Cronkite folks. Nothing wrong with him, we just watched Huntley and Brinkley.

Christopher and I were watching the 2nd round of the U.S. Open Friday afternoon when I heard NBC chimes followed by the SPECIAL REPORT logo, I said out loud, "this can't be good."

And then, the shaken face of the network's elder statesman, Tom Brokaw.

As he shared the sad news of Tim Russert's death my response was tempered by my kid saying "Dad, are you o.k., I know how much you liked him. That is so sad."

Sweet kid . . .he who pushes every button I've got (and enjoys doing it) has the most tender heart.

MTP is appointment TV in my house - recorded, of course, but a Sunday afternoon ritual nonetheless.

Tim's talents have been widely reported. But had it not been the life he lived, his Catholic faith, knowing well from what he came, zealous about his relationships especially with family - and then having written about that so lovingly, the loss, while great, would not have been felt so deeply.

We grieve this loss because in him we see the possibility of how one can be in this life.

The story of Tim's life in the wake of his death gives us a chance to acknowledge how much those relationships matter.

Andrew, Christopher and Jack - I am proud to be your Dad.

Of all the video that could be shared from Tim - I embed this clip, the "Moment of Zen," from "The Daily Show."

No comments: