Monday, April 03, 2006

This and That

A regular reader noticed my lack of frequency of posts in the past month or so. And rightly so. It's not that I have nothing to say, but the changes in life have not provided me the adequate time necessary to do my usual quest for profundity.

Issues in my wife's family business have necessitated her return to fulltime work. Her travel schedule, and mine, have meant that we've actually slept in the same bed about a week out of the past 5.

I have profound respect and awe for single parents who raise their children. Doing it with two is challenging enough, with one - Fugetaboutit!

During these weeks, however, there's been plenty going on to make comment. So, in lightning round fashion - here we go.

Immigration -
I'm not sure what the "right" thing here is on this one - but I'm pretty sure deporting 15 million people ain't it. And I would remind the church - historically, "sanctuary" is not the place people of faith worship, it is the safe place the endangered go to know God's care through God's people. This is especially so for those whose skin looks a bit different, or whose native language isn't mine, or, who, by their orientation have been exiled (even by some elements of the church). So for all those handwaving, teary-eyed Christians who love to praise their Jesus and sing "Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true. With thanksgiving, I'll be a living, sanctuary, for you -" don't forget that there may well come a time when God's gonna need you to be one.

Stewardship-
I had the rare opportunity to be present with Cameron and Amy as they prepared to go into surgery. They are only a few months wed, and Cameron was there to donate his kidney to his wife. He joked that hereon he should receive a pass if he were to forget an anniversary or a birthday. Truth is, they have a new anniversary neither of them will never forget, and Cameron has shown us what "no greater love" looks like, and the call to true stewardship to which all of us are called.

Katie Couric -
Please go to CBS. You drive me nuts on "The Today Show." You talk more than the people you are interviewing. This isn't about how pleasant or perky you are. I'm sure you're a fine person, and I know wondering whether or not you should leave a $65 Million job for a few $million less is a toughy for you. I'd say I'll be praying for you on this one, but God should smite me down if I did.

The Backyardigans Must Die
Not really. But it's Jack's new favorite show, and I can't get the theme song out of my head.

Get ready, I'm think I'm back - you'll want me to stop posting before long!

No comments: