Friday, June 26, 2009

The Week That Was

What a week.

Has it only been five days ago that I turned my keys, Sam's card (need another one, like now!), and credit card in to Emma, got in the truck and drove across town to start ministry afresh at Covenant?

Wow! Haven't even preached a sermon yet, and feel very welcomed. We'll see the response after Sunday!?

Since last Sunday -
  • Christopher has gone on a school trip to DC and NYC - and was selected to put a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington - something I can't wait to get pics to share. I told him this was a big deal, not to play as Mr. Cool, but be very respectful - I hear he did great.
  • Jack has spent the week with my folks.
  • I've unpacked box after box after box, and have pretty much all books done, just waiting on the interior decorating committee (Kristy and her mom) to come figure out where I"m going to hang all my credentials, mementos and art work, including two incredible new pieces I briought with me as a parting gift from St. J. - one, the work of the other Mrs. Jeffords, go here for that story; and the other, a framed picture from my friend, photo archivist, and kindred Trekker brother, Collins, of the historic pulpit it was my honor to preach Gospel from for eight years.
  • I have felt the twinges of "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore," as I drive 8 minutes to work.
  • I've had the renewed sense of camaraderie as I hear LJ's laugh just down the hall from me.
  • Kristy and I had some time to go out for dinner, to movies - any movie we wanted.
  • The Grizzlies made some typically strange choices with the NBA draft, although I think Thabeet may be a critically important piece on the defense - I hope.
  • Oh yeah, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died. Now, each of these merits independent reflection from the other. The proximity of their deaths further feeds the "it always comes in three" fire. I won't play into that. Posts on the impact of each of these three on my younger days will be forthcoming.
  • Willie Herenton resigned. No further post necessary. Maybe a round of the Doxology is in order, however.
  • Oh, finally, I have a first Sunday now only hours away. The text, from Mark 5. Jesus has crossed to other side after telling the sea and storm to shut up, and is barely grazed by one, who by faith, trusted that such connection can free her of her ailment. He also encounters a religious leader whose daughter is believed dead. He tells her to get up. Now those who think the lectionary a too boxed in way to go about the homiletical task, I give you this text. What a way to start. The Spirit's not a part of the Lectionary? Gimme a break.

So that's been my week so far. And it's still Friday night. The boys get home tomorrow, and the house will be thumping.

I'm hopeful for an uneventful Saturday.

But you know how that goes.

No comments: