Friday, February 22, 2019

You Will Not Die

(St. Louis)  There’s an unease in the air as you walk into the registration area for the General Conference. As I arrived this afternoon to secure my badge I noticed some folks I knew from across the Connection. I ran into some of our fellow delegates with pleasantries about our travel, our lodging, and the weather. All looks say what our words don’t - “Well, here we are, what’s about to happen?  

On a blustery, gloomy day, with the threat of rain and cold on the horizon, it’s easy to live into the fear and foreboding of what may be.   The Conference opens tomorrow with worship and prayer. Lots of worship and prayer. Nothing wrong with that. It’s needed. 

But the wisest words I’ve received today originated from a communicator from the PC (USA): 

Get in the boat
Go across the lake
There will be a storm
You will not die.

Wise words, indeed. It takes courage to get into the boat. For The United Methodist Church, it’s time to board. 



No comments: