Friday, January 05, 2007

Leftovers and a Few Fresh Servings

Some scattered thoughts left over from '06, and comments on what has been an extraordinary first week in '07 -
  • + How was my holiday? What holiday? With Kristy working full time, we only had a couple of days off, so I worked more during a time I usually take apart. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - the season just had a very different rhythm to it than my past Christmas seasons. I even preached on what is traditionally an "associate" Sunday. And it was really o.k.
  • + Last week, on like the 4th day of Christmas, I'm picking up my middle child from his cousins' house in Collierville, where he basically lived for the whole his holiday break. He's 11, and the spittin' image of my brother, in more ways than I can count, and he says to me, "Dad, do you know what I want for Easter?" He didn't get to tell me - I think it was that "don't go there" stare I gave him back. And then it occurred to me - our children have always received gifts, and often in abundance, but we have not instilled in them the desire to give them. Note for '07, that's something I've got to work on.
  • + When I was growing up, my Dad would never ask for anything during holiday time. And even now as an adult, I find he's still among the hardest of people to buy for. "Oh, I don't need anything, just your company." Now, when I was little, I used to think he's nuts because I had the Sears Wishbook dog-eared, cross-referenced, and strategically displayed on the table for any eyes desiring to know what their loving son wanted for Christmas. But I get it now. I've come to realize that the gift of time together, or even the quite of an afternoon is not a bad gift. Often it is a treasure in itself.
  • + I've been asked if my opposition to the death penalty applies to Saddam Hussein. Yes - because you can kill someone, doesn't mean you should, even if the guy is bad, maybe especially if he is.
  • + In the world of the bizarre - on the same day last week, the cable news network I watch covered three stories simultaneously - the execution of Saddam, the death of the 38th President of the United States, and the death of the Godfather of Soul. This may well be a sign of the apocalypse.
  • + Or, maybe this is - our President, it appears, is going to send up thousands of more troops to Iraq against the counsel of his Generals, the Iraq Study Group, and a disgruntled American populous - who now see this FUBAR'd debacle for what it is. Oh, yes, I've got KO on this one - stand back and hold on to something -

  • + As of yesterday, the second in line of succession to the Presidency is a woman. Who'd a thunk it?
  • + My list of resolutions for '07 looks strangely familiar. Why is that? Oh, that's right, they're the one's for '06, '05, '04 . . . what's that quote about insanity? It's doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result. Maybe time for something different - please.

No comments: